Dr. Balasubramani K.
- Brief description:
I was born in 1982 in an agrarian village of Karur District, South India. I earned Bachelor’s in Geography from Bharathidasan University with University First Rank and Master's in Geography from Madurai Kamaraj University with First Rank and Distinction. During my post graduation, I had cleared National Eligibility Test for Lectureship (2005) conducted by UGC, New Delhi. Immediately after my M.Sc., I had joined DSM Soft Pvt. Ltd. (Tiruchirappalli) and served as Team Leader in 3D Mapping Department (2006-2009). Later I bounced back to Madurai Kamaraj University to fulfil my teen age dream of academician, where I served as a Guest Lecturer. In the year 2011, I was joined in Bharathidasan University as Assistant Professor in Geography and later moved to Central University of Tamil Nadu (2017).
During my professional term, I cultivated an interest in the field of geospatial technologies and this topic eventually took me over to further teaching and research activities. I taught sub-domains of Physical Geography, Disaster Risk Management and Geoinformatics for M.Sc. and M.Tech. students. I have completed doctoral-level research on evaluation of land and water resources of a semi-arid watershed for sustainable development at Madurai Kamaraj University. I have presented papers and published research articles on applications of GIS and remote sensing. I won Best Paper Awards from the University of Kerala and University of Jammu and Young Geographer Award from National Association of Geographers, India. Recently, my work has been published in ISPRS - a leading remote sensing journal. I have contributed to reviewing the global edition of geography books published by Pearson Education Limited and School Education textbooks of Govt. of Tamil Nadu. I am reviewing articles submitted to reputed journals including Physical Geography and Arabian Journal of Geosciences.
I was trained at Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), Dept. of Space, National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), Ministry of Home Affairs and GISTDA, Ministry of Science & Technology, Bangkok (Thailand). I am actively participating as a member of Board of Studies in Universities / Colleges and Professional Societies including ISPRS, IGU, ISRS, IGS. I have delivered more than 50 invited talks in conferences/seminar/workshop/training programmes at various institutions including NIT (Calicut), NIT (Tiruchirappalli), JSS University, Shivaji University, Bangalore University, University of Madras, Vidyasagar University, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University and Anna University (Tiruchirappalli). I am a University Coordinator of IIRS Outreach Programmes (2011- present) and organised/co-organised Faculty Development Programmes (DST-NRDMS Training, UGC-Refresher Course, SAKSHAM with Govt. of Tamil Nadu and Microsoft India), Conference/Workshops etc.
- Name: Dr. Balasubramani K.
- Designation: Assistant Professor
- email: email@example.com
- Phone number: +91 9944649258
- Office Address: Department of Geography, School of Earth Sciences, Central University of Tamil Nadu, Thiruvarur – 610 101
- Educational details
- B.Sc. (Geography), Government Arts College (Karur), 2004 (73.9 % - First Class)
- M.Sc. (Geography), Madurai Kamaraj University, 2006 (84.4 % - First Class with Distinction)
- UGC-NET (Geography), 2005
- Ph.D. (Geography), Madurai Kamaraj University, 2016
- Research areas:
- Application of Geospatial Technologies in Watershed Development, Disaster Risk Reduction and Resource Mapping
- Top 5 publications:
1. Balasubramani, K. Physical Resources Assessment in a Semi-arid Watershed: An Integrated Methodology for Sustainable Land use Planning, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, In press. (Impact Factor: 6.387; SJR: 2.815) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2018.03.008
2. Rahaman, S. A., Aruchamy, S., Balasubramani, K., and Jegankumar, R. 2017. Land use/land cover changes in semi-arid mountain landscape in southern India: A geoinformatics based markov chain approach, The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Volume XLII-1/W1, 2017, 231-237, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-1-W1-231-2017
3. Balasubramani, K., Veena, M., Kumaraswamy, K., and Saravanabavan, V., 2015. Estimation of Soil Erosion in a Semi-arid Watershed of Tamil Nadu (India) using Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE) Model through GIS, Modeling Earth Systems and Environment (Springer ISSN: 2363-6211 Online), Vol. 1(3), pp.1-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40808-015-0015-4
4. Sawant Sushant, Balasubramani, K., and Kumaraswamy, K., 2015. Spatio-temporal Analysis of Rainfall Distribution and Variability in the Twentieth Century, Over the Cauvery Basin, South India, Environmental Management of River Basin Ecosystem (Eds. Ramkumar, Mu., Kumaraswamy .K., and Mohonraj. R.), Springer Earth System Sciences, Switzerland, pp. 21- 41. (ISSN 2197-9596) https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-13425-3_2
5. Balasubramani, K., and Kumaraswamy, K., 2013. Application of Geospatial Technology and Information Value Technique in Landslide Hazard Zonation Mapping: A Case Study of Giri Valley, Himachal Pradesh, Disaster Advances (eISSN 2278-4543), Vol.6 (1), pp. 38-47. (Impact Factor- SCI: 2.272; SJR: 0.256)
- Awards and recognitions:
- • Prof. N.P. Aiyyar Young Geographer Award by National Association of Geographers, India, 2015
- • Best Paper Award in the National Seminar, University of Kerala, 2009
- • Nodal Officer -SAKSHAM Program with Microsoft Corporation (India) Pvt. Ltd. by Government of Tamil Nadu, 2012
- • Deputy Coordinator, UGC-SAP DRS-II Programme, Department of Geography, Bharathidasan University (2016 - 2017)
- • University Coordinator, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) Outreach Programme, (2011- Present)
- • Co-coordinator, The Indian Geographical Society’s (IGS) State Wide Talent Test (2011 - Present)
- Links to:
Assistant Professor, Central University of Tamil Nadu.,
Aug 2017 - Present
Assistant Professor, Bharathidasan University.,
Feb 2011 - Aug 2017
Guest Lecturer, Madurai Kamaraj University.,
Jul 2009 - Feb 2011
Team Leader, DSM Soft Pvt. Ltd.,
Jul 2006 – Jul 2009