Dr. V. Gunasekaran
Dr. V. Gunasekaran completed his PhD (specialization: Materials Science/Nanotechnology) from Jeju National University, South Korea in the year 2011. He received his Master’s degree in Materials Science from PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore. He worked as Sr. Assistant Professor in the Department of Nanosciences and Technology, Karunya University, Coimbatore for 5 years. He received a prestigious JSPS Post-doctoral fellowship from Japan Society for Promotion of Science, Japan; subsequently he worked in Solid State Electronics Lab, Research Institute of Electrical Communication (RIEC), Tohoku University, Japan for 2 years. Previously he worked as Sr.Technical Staff at M/s LMW Ltd, Coimbatore for 9 years. His broad research areas are 2D nanomaterials, Graphene/Graphene-oxide, MEMS/NEMS devices, Super-capacitors, Electrical transport studies and photocatalysis for waste-water treatment.
- RESEARCH AREAS
- 2D Nanomaterials: Synthesis and Applications, Photocatalysis for waste water treatment, Fabrication of Nano devices, Graphene, Graphene-oxide, Supercapacitors, Electron-transport /low-temperature transport studies.
- TOP 5 PUBLICATION
- V. Gunasekaran*, M. K. Devaraju, S. Yuvaraj, V. J. Y. Surya, Varu singh, K. Karthikeyan, S. J. Kim, “Electrical Transport properties of two-dimensional MoS2 nanosheets synthesized by novel method”, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, 66, 81-86 (2017).
- V. Gunasekaran*, C.V. Jipsa, Nivea Raghavan, Varu Singh, Ashwini Kumar, Azhagurajan Mukkannan, “Nano-dynamic mechanical and thermal responses of single walled carbon-nanotubes reinforced polymer nanocomposite thinfilms”, J. Alloys and Compounds, 688, 454-459
- V. Gunasekaran*, T. Sakthivel, K. Karthikeyan, K. Velmurugan, R. Nandhakumar, Sang-Jae Kim, “Graphdiyne-ZnO nanohybrids as an advanced photocatalytic material”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C., (ACS), 119 (38), 22057-22065 .
- V. Gunasekaran*, K. Karthikeyan, R. Mohan, S.-J. Kim, “An investigation of the electrical transport properties of graphene-oxide thin films”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 132, 29-33 (2012).
- V. Gunasekaran*, and Sang-Jae. Kim, Fabrication of nanoscale three-dimensional graphite stacked-junctions by focused-ion-beam and observation of anomalous transport characteristics, Carbon, 49, 8, 2766-2772 (2011).
- EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Ph.D., Materials Science/ Nanotechnology Jeju National University, Republic of Korea; 2011
- M.Phil., Physics, Manonmanium Sundaranar University, Trinelveli, India; 2006
- M.Sc., Materials Science Bharathiar University/ PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore; 1998
- B.Sc., Physics, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India; 1995
- AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- JSPS Post Doctoral Fellowship (for 2 years) at Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
- Best Achievers’ Award (2014), Karunya University, Coimbatore, India.
- Young Scientist Award (2014) for the project worth of Rs 21.4 Lakhs sanctioned from Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, New Delhi.
- Best Teacher Award (2012), Karunya University, Coimbatore, India.
- Best Researcher Award (2013), Karunya University, Coimbatore, India.
- Best Researcher Award (2012), Karunya University, Coimbatore, India.
- Best Research Paper Award (2012), Karunya University, Coimbatore, India.
- Best Ph.D. Thesis –The Honorable Mention Research Achievement Award (2011) given by the President, Jeju National University for the best research performances in PhD program.
- Best Student Award (2011), Nanomaterials Lab, Jeju National University, Korea
- Best Poster Award (2010) in 10th APCPST and 23rd SPSM conference, Jeju, Korea
- Brain Korea-21 (BK-21) Fellowship – from Korean Research Foundation (KRF) for doctoral research.
Assistant Professor (AGP: 8000), Karunya University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
July 2011 – August 2016
JSPS Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Solid State Electronics Lab, Research Institute of Electrical Communication (RIEC), Tohoku University, Japan.
Senior Technical Staff, Department of Materials, SCM, M/s Lakshmi Machine Works Limited, Coimbatore, India
May 1998 – May 2007