Dr. Lekha D. Bhat
Dr Lekha D Bhat is with Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Central University of Tamil Nadu. She has a basic training in Public Health with an MPhil and a doctorate in Social Medicine and Community Health from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) New Delhi. Her background in public health has created a keen interest in developing a social epidemiological approach in public health. Before joining CUTN, she worked as Assistant Professor in Mizoram University for four years. Her interest areas are maternal health, adolescent health, social epidemiological approach in public health and qualitative methods.
- RESEARCH AREA
- Women’s Health, Adolescent Health, Mental health, Qualitative Research Methodology.
- TOP 5 PUBLICATION
- Kumar, A. Nayar KR, Shaffi M, Grace C, Bhat Lekha (2017) Happy days are “Not” Here!, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol LII No 19, May 13 2017, 24-27.
- Grace C, Nayar KR, Bhat Lekha , Kumar A, Babu R, Shaffi M. (2016) The “Spittoon Syndrome”. How effective will be Anti-Spitting Initiatives in India, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol51, Issue 26-27, 25 June 2016.
- Bhat Lekha, Nayar KR, Moosan H, Nair S, Shaffi M(2015) Hand Wash and Public Health, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol, 50, Issue No 48, Nov 28, 2015.
- Nayar KR, Bhat Lekha Social Determinants of Maternal and Child Health in India: Macro-Micro Disjunctions’ in Maternal Health in India Contemporary Issues and Challenges, Ed. Mohamad Akram, Rawat Publishers, 2014.
- Bhat Lekha (2014) Ethical Issues in Health Care Practice: Reflections from Private Hospitals, Kerala , India, Social Work Journal, Volume 5, No 1, June 2014.
- EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION
- Ph.D., Public Health, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi; 2014.
- M Phil., Public Health, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi; 2009.
- MSW., Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kalamassery, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala; 2004.
- B.Sc., Chemistry, Sacred Heart College, Thevara, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala; 2002.
- AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Qualified JRF of UGC 2005
- Qualified UGC NET in 2005
- Qualified for SRF Aug 2008-Aug 2012
- Third Position in Master’s Programme at the University level
- First Position in MPhil Programme at JNU
- Scholarship during B Sc Programme
Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Central University of Tamilnadu, Thiruvarur 610101, Tamilnadu.
June 2017 - Till date
Assistant Professor : Department of Social Work, School of Social Sciences, Mizoram University (A central University), Aizawl 796004, India
Research Associate, Centre for Labour and Development, Haus Khas , NewDelhi.
May 2012 - May 2013
Research Assistant, Department of Social Work , Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kochi, Kerala.
July 2005 - June 2006
Research Assistant, Datamation Consultants Pvt. Ltd. Kochi, Kerala.
January 2005 - June 2005
Volunteer, Documentation Unit, Rajagiri out REACH Service Society, Kochi, Kerala.
June 2003 - July 2004.