Dr. Meganathan Kannan
Meganathan Kannan’s primary area of research is on hematological disorders, especially in the areas of platelets, coagulation and hematological malignancies. Kannan received his PhD from All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, and further to that he had undergone vast post-doctoral training in academic institutes in USA for five years, before accepting the current position at the Central University of Tamil Nadu. Kannan’s research works were recognized by various national and International conferences related to hematology and received numerous best paper awards to his credit. Kannan has published more than 50 research papers in peer-reviewed national and international journals, besides 13 chapters in text books. Some of his studies were featured on journals’ cover image and selected as best articles. Kannan has been the principal investigator for sponsored research projects from funding agencies including UGC, DST-SERB. He has supervised two research students in the past and currently supervising two doctoral students who are focusing on leukemia and platelet biology, respectively. Kannan has received a prestigious JC Patel award for active research work in hematology in India by the Indian Society of Hematology and Transfusion Medicine and Pier. M. Mannucci Young Investigator award by International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, USA for the best publication in an international journal (J thromb. Haemost.). Kannan is also a recipient of “Reach the World Fellowship” sponsored by International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH), to visit the Rockefeller University, New York, for the period of two months, as a Visiting Assistant Professor. He is a visiting professor to the Loyola University Medical Center in Chicago, USA. Also, he had been a visiting professor to the University Medical Center Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany. He is member of various national and international academic societies. Kannan has been a resource person on various occasions for conferences and workshops. He is the editorial member and reviewer of several reputed international journals. Kannan is also reviewer for doctoral thesis from other universities and proposal reviewers for certain funding agencies.
- RESEARCH AREA
- Platelet biology and Hematological disorders
- SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
- Kannan M, Saxena R. No genetic abnormalities identified in α2IIb and β3: Phenotype overcomes genotype in Glanzmann thrombasthenia. Int J Lab Hematol. 2017;39(2):e41-44.
- Ahmad F, Jan R, Kannan M, Obser T, Hassan MI, Oyen F, Budde U, Saxena R, Schneppenheim R. Characterisation of mutations and molecular studies of type 2 von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost. 2013 Jan;109(1):39-46.
- Kannan M, Atreya C. Differential profiling of human red blood cells during storage for 52 selected microRNAs. Transfusion. 2010 Jul; 50(7):1581-8.
- Kannan M, Ahmad F, Yadav B, Kumar R, Choudhry V, Saxena R. Molecular defects in ITGA2B and ITGB3 genes in patients with Glanzmann’s thrombasthenia. J Thromb Haemost. 2009; 7 (11): 1878-85.
- Kannan M, Mohan KVK, Kulkarni S, Atreya C. Membrane array-based profiling of platelets during storage for 52 miRNAs associated with apoptosis. Transfusion. 2009 Jul;49(7):1443-50.
- EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship., Platelet biology & Molecular Hematology, (i) FDA, NIH campus, Bethesda, Maryland & (ii) Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio. USA; 2013
- Ph.D., Molecular Hematology;All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi 2008
- M.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Madras, Chennai; 2000
- B.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Madras, Chennai; 1998
- AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Visiting Professor at the Department of Pharmacology and Pathology, Loyola University Medical Center, Stritch School of Medicine, Chicago, USA from 26th Oct to 2nd Nov 2016.
- Visiting Assistant Professor: Recipient of ISTH fellowship by the Int’l Society of Thrombosis & Hemostasis, USA to visit the Rockefeller University, New York, USA from May to July 2016.
- Visiting Professor at the Department of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Germany from 25th June to 24th July 2015.
- Pier M. Mannucci Young Investigator Award for the best article of the year 2009 published in the Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis for the excellence and originality of the work on “Molecular defects in ITGA2B and ITGB3 genes in Glanzmann thrombasthenia”.
- Recipient of Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Engineering Fellowship. Apr 2008-Mar 2010.
- The prestigious Dr JC Patel award for active research work in hematology in India at the 48th Annual conference of Indian Soc.of Hematology & Transfusion Medicine at Lucknow. Nov 2007.
- National-level faculty Selection by merit: UGC-Assistant Professor under the UGC-Faculty Recharge Programme on November 2013 (Selected but not availed).
- Qualified NET for Lectureship/Assistant Professorship. October 2001, conducted by ICAR, recognized by the UGC/CSIR.
- Awarded Senior Research Fellow by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), HRDG, New Delhi in December 2006.
- Awarded Senior Research Fellow by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi in January 2007
- Recipient of INSA fellowship to attend the 49th American Society of Hematology conference in Atlanta, Georgia, USA that was held on 8-11 December 2007.
- Best poster Award for the presentation entitled “Mutation spectrum and molecular studies of type 2 von willebrand disease” at XXII Congress of the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 11-16 July 2009. Boston, MA, USA.
- Best paper Award for the presentation entitled "Characterization of two novel deletions causing von Willebrand disease type 3” at 53rd Annual meeting of Thrombosis and Haemostasis on 4-7 February 2009 at Vienna, Austria.
- Best paper Award for the presentation on "Occurrence of Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia in Indian patients on Unfractionated Heparin” at Delhi Society of Hematology, XIV annual conference held on July 12, 2003 at Kasturba Hospital, Delhi
- Best paper Award for the presentation entitled "Multimeric analysis for sub characterization of Von Willebrand Disease in Indians” at annual meet of Indian Society of Hematology and Transfusion Nov. 2003 New Delhi
Assistant Professor, Division of Blood and Vascular Biology, Central University of Tamil Nadu, Thiruvarur 610 005
April 2013 - Till Date
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Division of Hematology/Oncology, Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229. USA.
March 2010 - January 2013.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Hematology, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), NIH campus, Bethesda, MD 20892. USA.
April 2008 - March 2010
Senior Research Fellow, Department of Hematology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi-110 012.
May 2002 - February 2008
Senior Research Fellow, Water Technology Centre, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa, New Delhi.
December 2000 - November 2001