Dr. Nikhil Kumar Gouda
In the Google-era, the concept of teaching has undergone sea-change. The old style information parting with top-down approach has got a severe jolt; more so in the discipline of Mass Communication teaching which is a super dynamic subject expanding both vertically and horizontally every moment. In this backdrop, I prefer to call myself a facilitator who needs to bring together the different streams of belief, opinion, and assumptions to one platform for logical inquiry and verification and filter out the best for consumption. I have subject specializations in Communication Theory, Media Research; Print Editing & Writing; Development Communications; Radio; Global Media and Social Media with skills in supervising Media Research Projects; Print Editing and Writing; Academic Administration; Student Counseling and Crisis Management. With my long experience of 15 years and 05 months (09 years 06 months in Academics in Tamilnadu, Rajasthan, Punjab & New Delhi; and 5 years 11 months in Media Industry in New Delhi and Odisha) and study of the subject by acquiring degrees—Ph.D., M.Phil., MJMC, BSc.; I try my best to prepare students for the challenges ahead. UGC-NET certification and NACO fellowship by Ministry of Health, Govt. of India are definite encouragement for me in this direction. Research areas: Health Communication, Advertising
Working as an Assistant Professor in the department of Media and Mass Communication of Central University of Tamil Nadu, Thiruvarur since 22nd June, 2016. Worked as an Assistant Professor in Amity School of Communication (ASCO), Amity University Rajasthan, Jaipur from 21st July, 2014 to 7th June, 2016. Worked as an Assistant Professor in the School of Journalism and Film Production, Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar (Punjab) from 1st August 2013 to 15 May, 2014 (01 Academic Year). Worked as a NACO Fellow on a project, Role of Communication in Reducing HIV/AIDS Stigma & Discrimination: A Study of Ganjam District of Odisha, on a National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO), Ministry of Health (Govt. of India) fellowship from January, 2012 to December, 2013. Worked as Asst. Professor in the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication of Lingaya's Lalita Devi Institute of Management & Sciences (LLDIMS), a self-financed institute affiliated to the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprashta University, New Delhi. Started as a lecturer in July 2006 and left in November 2011. Worked as a Senior Analyst for Copal Partners from September 2005 to November 2005. Worked as a Project Assistant in Hemophilia Federation (India) from March 2004 to September 2005 for the project, “Living with Hemophilia in India, phase 2”, with the help of Danish Hemophilia Society (DHS), Denmark and funded by DANIDA (Danish International Developmental Assistance). Worked as a Sub-editor in The DayAfter, an international illustrated Newsmagazine from Sept. 2003 to Feb. 2004 Worked as a Copy Editor in Thomson Press (I) Ltd., NEPZ, Noida from April 2003 to July 2003. Worked as an Announcer-cum-Compere in All India Radio, Berhampur (Orissa) from Sept 2000 to January 03.
- TOP 5 PUBLICATION
- Management of Media during Anna Hazare’s India against Corruption fast at Ramlila Madian, New Delhi: A 360 degree analysis. Published as a chapter in a book, Issues of Journalistic Ethics and Freedom in the Contemporary Age of Digital Media edited by Professor Dr. Tapati Basu, HoD, Department of J&MC, University of Calcutta. Edition: First,9th Jan. 2012, Kolkata, India. Page No.: 54-60, ISBN no.:81-86263-02-4. A joint publication by Prof. Sunil Kanta Behera (Berhampur University), Mr. Nikhil Kumar Gouda & Dr. Spandita Kar (CMGI).
- Digital Media as an Advertising Tool: A Critical Analysis. Published in the national, non-refereed journal, Scholar’s View. Volume: 1, Issue: 1, 2012. Page No.: 89-94, ISSN no.: ISSN 2319-121X. (Published). A joint publication by Mr. Nikhil Kumar Gouda (First Author) & Mr. Pranav Mishra (Second Author).
- Role of media in perpetuating and combating social exclusion. Published in the national, non-refereed journal, Scholar’s View. Volume: II, Issue: I, 2013. ISSN no.: ISSN 2319-121X. (Published). By Mr. Nikhil Kumar Gouda.
- Role of Communication to manage low-volume and high-cost diseases like Hemophilia—A Study in Delhi-National Capital Region. Amity Journal of Media and Communication Studies. Volume 4 Number 1, 2015. ISSN 2231-1033.
- Underrepresentation of Dalits in Indian News Media and Ambedkar: A Literature Review. Published as a chapter in a book, Babasaheb Dr B.R. Ambedkar and Social Democracy edited by Tenepalli Hari and Samuel Tharu. Edition: First, 2016, New Delhi, India. Page No.: 367-374, ISBN no.:978-93-80966-82-3. Written by Dr. Ganesh Sethi & Dr. Nikhil Kumar Gouda.
- AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Cleared UGC NET June 2012 in Mass Communication & Journalism
- Awarded NACO fellowship 2011-2012 (Ministry of Health, Govt. of India) for research on “Role of Communication in Reducing HIV/AIDS Stigma & Discrimination: A Study of Ganjam District of Odisha.”
- Awarded ‘Best Research Paper’ award for the paper Role of Media in the Discrimination of ‘Strong-Gender’ in India: Review of a Few Cases in All India Media Educators Conference, 2016 organized by Centre for Mass Comm., Jaipur University and Amity University, Jaipur from 22-24 April, 2016
- Helped students win two successive awards in 2007 (2nd prize) & 2008 (1st prize) for Magazine Production in the annual inter-college competition of the GGSIP university.
- Headed the department for 4 months (April 2009 to July 2009).
- Got Letter of Appreciation & Incentive from the Management of LLDIMS for exemplary performance in teaching and overall development of students in 2007.
- Got the privilege of being the member of the Syllabus Revision Committee of GSIP university for the program BJMC for the batch starting 2009-2010.
- Got the privilege to revise syllabi for papers like Development & Communication (3rd Semester) and Writing for Media (1st semester) for the BJMC program, batch starting 2009-2010.
- EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. from department of Journalism; 2015
- MPhil in Mass Communication, Vinayaka Missions University, Salem. Title of dissertation: Role of communication to prevent hemophilia—with special reference to Delhi-NCR Region. Supervisor: Dr. Dharmendra Singh, New Delhi; 2008
- Master of Journalism and Mass Communication (MJMC) Berhampur University, Orissa. 64.5% Specialization: Electronics Journalism; 2001
- Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC), Berhampur University, Orissa. 61.3%; 1999
- B.Sc.(Chemistry), Khallikote (Autonomous) College. 62.0%; 1997