Prof. P. Ravindran
Ponniah Ravindran was born and grew up in Kanyakumari, India. He received his undergraduate education at the Madurai Kamaraj University and postgraduate education at Anna University, Chennai. A one year Project Associate Fellowship at IIT-Madras. After the completion of PhD from Anna University in the field of Computational Condensed Matter Physics, Prof. Ravindran worked in Uppsala University, Sweden and University of Oslo, Norway for nearly 16 years as Guest researcher, Postdoctoral fellow, Associate Professor and Research Professor. Though he got permanent position in Academia Sinica, Taipei and Max-Planck institute, Germany, he has moved back to India and took the first Professor and Head position at the Department of Physics, Central University of Tamil Nadu in 2012. He is also a Steering Committee member at European Science Foundation Ψ-k Network- representing Norway. He is doing nanoscale modelling advanced functional materials useful for energy, environment and emerging technologies using state-of-the-art computational tools. He has consistent publication record in high impact journals resulting more than 140 publications and >6700 citations with h-index 42. He has edited two books and wrote 3 book chapters. He has also organized 10 international/national conferences, workshops and seminars. He executed more than 30 Research projects both nationally and internationally. He also given more than 125 invited lectures in both national and international levels.As CUTN is newly established, he has actively involved in developing the curriculum for Integrated MSc Physics, M.Tech Material Science and NanoTechnology and M.Tech Energy and Environmental Technology. Parallely, he is holding a adjunct Professor position at University of Oslo till date. He actively involved in developing various labs at Department of Physics apart from developing Central Instrumentation Facility and High Performance Computing Facility. He is actively involving in various administrative duties as Chairman/Co-ordinator/Member etc. in various committee including Executive council, Academic council, Building committe, Research committee in CUTN. More than one year he worked as a Registrar(Acting) in Central University of Tamil Nadu. In 2014 he was selected as Fellow of the Academy of Sciences, Chennai. He has initiated and developed the Department of Materials Science and a multidisciplinary SCANMAT center at CUTN.
- RESEARCH AREA
- Nanophase materials
- MOFs and other nano/micro/measo-porous materials
- Hydrogen Storage & Battery Materials
- Solar Energy Materials including Tranparent conducting oxides
- Defects in semiconductors
- Linear, nonlinear optical properties and other Excited State properties
- Magneto-optical and Magneto-caloric materials.
- Magnetic properties, Magnetic anisotropy, Spin, Charge and Orbital ordering
- Multi-ferroic and other multifunctional materials
- Structural Phase Stability and High Pressure studies
- Theory of Alloy Formation
- Mechanical properties of structural/aerospace engineering materials
- Superconductivity and phonons
- Catalytic Materials
- TOP 5 PUBLICATION
- M.R. Ashwin Kishore and P. Ravindran, Tailoring the Electronic Band Gap and Band Edge Positions in C2N Monolayer by P and As Substitution for Photocatalytic Water Splitting, J. Phys. Chem. C 121 (40), 22216-22224 (2017).
- R. Varunaa and P. Ravindran, Phase Stability, Phase Mixing and Phase Separation in Fluorinated Alkaline Earth Hydrides, J. Phys. Chem. C 121 (40), 21806-21820 (2017).
- M.R. Ashwin Kishore and P. Ravindran, Enhanced Photocatalytic Water Splitting in C2N Monolayer by C-site Isoelectronic Substitution, ChemPhysChem 18 (12), 1526-1532 (2017) (Back Cover Page Article).
- Lokanath Patra, M.R. Ashwin Kishore, R. Vidya, Anja O. Sjåstad, H. Fjellvåg, P. Ravindran , Electronic and magnetic structures of hole doped trilayer La4-xSrxNi3O8 from first principles calculations, Inorganic Chemistry 55 (22), 11898-11907 (2016) .
- M.R. Ashwin Kishore, H. Okamoto, Lokanath Patra, R. Vidya, Anja O. Sjåstad, H. Fjellvåg, P. Ravindran, Theoretical and experimental investigation on structural, electronic, and magnetic properies of layered Mn5O8, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 18, 27885 (2016).
- EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION
- Ph.D., Solid State Physics (1996) - Department of Physics, Anna University, Madras, INDIA.
- M.Sc., Materials Science (1989) - Department of Materials Science, Anna University, Madras, INDIA.
- B.Sc., Physics (1987) - Department of Physics, Madurai Kamaraj University, INDIA.
Professor, Department of Physics
March 2012 - Till date
Adjunct Professor, Center for Materials Science and Nanotechnology, University of Oslo, Norway
April 2014 - Till date
Senior Researcher, Center for Materials Science and Nanotechnology, University of Oslo, NORWAY.
October 2005 - March 2012
Research Scientist, Institute for Energy Technology, Kjeller, NORWAY
October 2004 - September 2005
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Oslo, Norway
November 2002 - September 2004
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of Oslo, Norway
December 1998 - November 2002
Guest Researcher, Condensed Matter Theory Group, Department of Physics, Uppsala University, SWEDEN .
May 1996 - November 1998
Research Associate, Low Temperature and Superconductor Lab., Materials Science Division , Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam, INDIA .
January 1996 - May 1996
Senior Research Fellow, Department of Physics, Anna University, Madras, INDIA
February 1994 - December 1995
Senior Research Fellow (DAE-INDIA), Department of Physics, Anna University, Madras, INDIA
March 1992 - January 1994
Junior Research Fellow, DAE-INDIA, Department of Physics, Anna University, Madras, India
March 1990 - March 1992
Project Associate, ISRO-INDIA, Department of Chemical Engg., IIT, Madras, INDIA
September 1989 - November 1989