Prof.Karpaga Kumaravel is an Awardee of Senior Fulbright Fellowship as well as Commonwealth Fellowship and has served as the Vice-Chancellor of Madurai-Kamaraj University (University with Potential for Excellence) and also in various capacities in his more than three decades of Service ( As Professor and Head of the Departments of Educational Technology and Education for 18 years, Also as Syndicate Member, Dean, Director-UGC-HRDC and Co-Ordinator for UGC-SAP-DRS-I&II). He completed International Consultancy Assignments for UNESCO, CoL, Canada and Department for International Development (DFID)-London and British Council. Travelled widely across the world, he has visited world-renowned Universities on academic assignments in Twenty-Nine Countries of all the Continents viz., Europe, USA, Australia, Africa and Asia, which include among others Washington University, Philadelphia University, USA, Oxford University, Cambridge University, UK, UNESCO-Paris, UNESCO-APEID, International Institute of Education Planning, St. Peters University, Russia, Athens University, Greece, Konkuk University, Seoul, South Korea, University of Melbourne, Australia and Nagoya University, Japan . He has successfully completed three International Projects. Under his leadership, the Department of Educational Technology, Bharathidasan University has emerged as the first Department in Educational Technology in South India to get the Department for Research Studies (DRS) status with a Special Assistance from the UGC for which he was the Project Coordinator for DRS-I as well as DRS-II (Rs.90 Lakhs). He has trained thousands of Higher Education Teachers through as many as 72 Orientation and Refresher Courses/Workshops/Seminars and Conferences. He has contributed to National Apex Bodies like UGC, NAAC, NCTE and NCERT in various key responsibilities such as Chairman of the UGC Committee for the Assessment of the autonomous colleges, UGC Committees for the Evaluation of the achievements of the universities and assessment of the requirements of the Universities in the States of Punjab and Chattisgarh.
- • He has conceived, experimented and successfully implemented pioneer projects like Assessment and Accreditation of Schools, the first of its kind in the country through School Assessment and Accreditation Council (SAAC), established by him under Bharathidasan University School Linkage Cell (BSLC). He has conceived, developed and successfully implemented many innovative academic programmes like M.Sc. Media & Communication, a five-year integrated programme, PG Diploma in e-Learning, PG Diploma in Educational Administration and PG Diploma in Higher Education Technology.He has contributed as an Expert for NCERT in the formulation of National Curriculum Framework and for MHRD in the development of National Policy on ICT in School Education for the XII Plan Period.
- • He established the Centre for Educational Research with financial support from UGC and Government of Tamil Nadu, the first of its kind in South India. He was the Founder cum Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Educational Research, Development and Extension, ISSN Number 0974-889X, also served as Editor for the Journal of Educational Research and Extension (for 5 years), Reviewer for the NCERT’s Indian Journal of Education, International Editorial Board Member for the International Journal of Web-Based Communities and Jury for the selection of Research Papers in the International Conference on “Networking Communities” at Portuguese.
- RESEARCH AREA
- Educational Technology, Teacher Education and Professional Development, ELT.
- TOP 5 PUBLICATION
- Karpaga Kumaravel.R & Ravindran.N. (2016) Total Quality Management: Perception of Students of Arts and Science college in Tiruchirappalli district. Experiments in Education., Vol.30 (3).,pp 20-26 ISSN:0022-0973
- Karpaga Kumaravel, R., & Panneer, M., (2015). Case Study of Pennsylvania State University, USA-A Success Story of Strategic Planning for Total Quality Management (TQM). Random Publications, New Delhi, pp.1227-1230. ISBN:9789351111948
- Karpaga Kumaravel, R., (2004). ICT Initiatives of a Developing Country – A Case Study of India, Education: Concepts and Practices, Athens Institute for Education and Research. Pp.333-353 ISBN: 9608833116
- Karpaga Kumaravel, R., (2005). Report of the National Focus Group on Educational Technology, NCERT, National Curriculum Framework. ISBN 81-7450-561-X
- Karpaga Kumaravel, R., (2007). Partnering Teacher Education with School Sector for Promotion of Quality Assurance, An Anthology of "Best Practices" in Teacher Education (International) NAAC & Commonwealth of Learning, Canada (Policy Document) pp.147-151 ISBN: 978-81-89842-02-4
- EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION
- Post Doctoral Research in UK with Commonwealth Fellowship from the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), London,” in an extremely competitive year” ; 2002
- Fulbright Senior Fellowship (USA) from the United States - India Educational Foundation; 2013
- Ph.D., Education - Specialization in Application of Educational Technology (Topic: Instructional Technology in English Language Teaching-A Systems Analysis Perspective), Alagappa University, Karaikudi; 1994
- M.Phil., Education, Specialization in Educational Technology (Topic: Effectiveness of Computer-Assisted Instruction, Video-Assisted Instruction and Conventional Instruction in English Language Teaching), Bharathiar University, Coimbatore; 1990
- M.Ed., Educational Administration, Annamalai University; 1981
- Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching of English (Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages), Hyderabad. Project Topic-A Study of Writing Skills in English among the Higher Secondary Students in Tamil Nadu; 1984
- Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education (Indira Gandhi National Open University), New Delhi. Project Topic-A Comparative Study of Autonomous and Non-Autonomous Colleges with specific reference to certain Selected Variables; 1996
- M.A., in English, Annamalai University; 1979
- B.A., in English, Annamalai University; 1977
- M.A., in Distance Education (Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi).Project Topic-An Evaluation of Distance Education Programmes of University of Madras, Madurai Kamaraj University and Annamalai University; 1998
- M.A., in Sociology, Annamalai University; 1984
- Diploma in Cultural Heritage of India. Project Topic-Relevance of Ancient Educational Philosophy to Modern Indian Education; 1987
- AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Got selected for the International Commonwealth Fellowship Award by the Association of Commonwealth Universities, London “ in an extremely competitive year (2002) “ and successfully completed an International Project at UK in the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Scotland as a Residential Post Doctoral Researcher.
- Served as Expert for UNESCO and completed a work assignment for that international organization on the Development of a Prototype Model for “Learning to Learn with Information and Communication Technology” (2001).
- Has been selected by the British Council and the Department for International Development (DFID), UK for an International Project on “Alleviation of Poverty and
- Gender Equity through Information Technology” (2003-2005). As a part of the International Project, visited Germany, Netherlands, France, Finland, Italy, Greece and Russia for field visit and data collection.
- Best Educationist Award by Pondicherry Psychology Association (2003) and the award received from the Chief Minister of Pondicherry.
- Best Educational Administrator Award, given by the International Organization “World Management Congress”, the Educational Standards and Testing Council of India (TEST-COIN), the Global Open University Nagaland, and the Confederation of Indian Universities, New Delhi on 30-31 December 2009 at New Delhi by the Governor of Punjab.
- Project Title:Learning to learn through Information Technology - Prototype Modules on Multimedia Learning. ; Funding Agency:UNESCO ; Amount:3000 USD
- Project Title:An Evaluation of inservice training programmes ; Funding Agency:SSA, Govt. of India ; Amount:2 lakhs
- Project Title:Promoting Skills Development through education and training ; Funding Agency:British Council, UK ; Amount:6 lakhs
- Project Title:Teacher Development and Educational Communication ; Funding Agency:UGC; Amount:32 Lakhs
- Project Title:ICT in Education ; Funding Agency:UGC; Amount:60 Lakhs
- Project Title:Digital Culture among the Teacher Education Institutions in relation to certain Psycho-Social Variables ; Funding Agency:ICSSR ; Amount:8 Lakhs
June 2016 - Till Date
Vice-Chancellor, Madurai Kamaraj University ( University with Potential for Excellence )
April 2008 - April 2011
Professor, Department of Educational Technology, Bharathidasan University
December 1999 June 2016
Head of the Department, Department of Educational Technology, Bharathidasan University
December 1999 - April 2008
Syndicate Member, Bharathidasan University
August 2011- July 2014
Dean, Faculty of Arts, Bharathidasan University
2005 - 2008
Director UGC- Academic Staff College, Bharathidasan University
July 2002 - July 2005
Director, UGC-Human Resource Development Centre, Bharathidasan University
October 2014 - January 2016
Co-ordinator UGC-Special Assistance Programme, DRS-I
Co-ordinator UGC-Special Assistance Programme , DRS-II
Campus Director, Bharathidasan University
October 2014 - June 2016
Assistant Professor and Reader, English Education , Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya College of Education the first autonomous College of Education in India,Coimbatore
November 1984 - December 1999