Prof. Sulochana Shekhar
We are living in the information era. I think this is the time to accept new tools, techniques and methodologies in Geography and train the students to face the real world problems and find solutions by using spatial information techniques. I believe in the power of education and technology to transform our world and work at their intersection. I am presently teaching urban geography and the fundamentals and applications of Geoinformatics at the post-graduation level. I have worked on cellular automata based urban growth models and urban sprawl assessment using entropy for my doctoral research. Object based image analysis was the main theme of my post-doctoral research. I have previously worked on the projects that includes developing a spatial decision support system for slums and on the extraction of slums and urban green space using object-based image analysis. I am presently working on health-based spatial decision support systems and urban heat islands. I strongly believe that a true teacher is a keen learner. Having the honour of building this new department, it is my responsibility to design the curriculum to meet the expectations of all stakeholders and ensure that the students gain the necessary skills. The spirit of good research is that it must be useful to the society. I would like to encourage my students to do research that provide solutions to societal problems. Renewable energy development in the form of harnessing solar energy, slum development and environmental quality assessment, are some of the guided research areas for doctoral programs. I want to make sure that my students go forth with a solid understanding of not just the basics of the field but as well as its applications and potential when it comes to working on real problems. I strive to empower my students and work on it every single day.
- RESEARCH AREA
- Urban Geography, Application of Remote sensing and Geospatial techniques in urban environments. (Mapping, Monitoring and Managing)
- TOP 5 PUBLICATIONS
- S.Shekhar , E-H. Yoo, S.A. Ahmed , R. Haining , ∗, S. Kadannolly (2017) Analysing malaria incidence at the small area level for developing a spatial decision support system: A case study in Kalaburagi,Karnataka, India, Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology 20 (2017) 9–25.
- Deepak Kumar, Sulochana Shekhar (2016) Linear Gradient Analysis of Kinetic Temperature through Geostatistical Approach, Modelling Earth Systems and Environment (Springer) ISSN 2363-6203, DOI 10.1007/s40808-016-0198-3.
- Deepak Kumar, Sulochana Shekhar (2015) Statistical analysis of land surface temperature–vegetation indexes relationship through thermal remote sensing, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 121 (2015) 39–44 journal homepage: www.elsevier.com/locate/ecoenv.
- Sulochana Shekhar (2014)Mapping For Change - Participatory Approach In Slum Planning,Indian Cartographer Vol. XXXIV: 2014Theme: Urban Management
- Kumar, Deepak and Shekhar, Sulochana (2014), “ Modelling Solar Energy Using Geospatial Technology”, Conference Proceedings of International Conference on Geospatial Momentum for Society and Environment, CEPT University, Ahmedabad, AGSE Publishing, Germany, PP 351-364, ISBN: 978-3- 943321-12-8. Available at: http://www.appliedgeoinformatics.org/downloads AGSE2014_Full%20Paper_Preversion.pdf.
- EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION
- Post Doctorate Fellowship:Received European Commission Scholarship for (Sep2010 - Feb2011) Post- Doctoral Research on Object Oriented Image analysis at ITC, The Netherlands
- M.Sc. Geographic Information Science& System: From University of Salzburg (Aug 2010) (UNIGIS M.Sc.)
- Ph.D. in Geography :Awarded on the Thesis entitled “Monitoring urban (April 2006) sprawl of Pune by Remote sensing and GIS techniques” under the guidance of Dr Jaymala Diddee, Professor (Retd), Department of Geography, University of Pune, Pune.
- Master of Education:From Annamalai University, Chidambaram, TN(May 1998)
- Bachelor of Education: From Bharathiyar University, Coimbatore, TN(May 1993)
- Master of Science in Geography:From Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, TN(April 1992)
- Bachelor of Science in Geography:From Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, TN(April 1990)
- University Rank Holder (Gold Medalist) in Under Graduation (B.Sc. Geography)
- University Rank Holder (Gold Medalist) in Post-Graduation (M.Sc. Geography)
- Awarded the Dr.M.Varadarajan Memorial Endowment Medal for Securing Ist rank in M.Sc. (Geography)
- Awarded the National Scholarship by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India for securing University 2nd rank in B.Ed.
- Qualified for the National Eligibility Test for Lectureship conducted by the University Grants Commission in December 1998.
- Qualified for the State level Eligibility Test for Lectureship of Tamil Nadu State in March 1998.
- Awarded Erasmus Mundus European Commission Scholarship, Aug 2010- Feb2011 –Post Doctoral research at ITC, The Netherlands
- Awarded Commonwealth Academic Fellowship: Worked on Spatial Decision Support System (Sep-Dec 2013) (SDSS) at UCL, London.
- Received Best Paper Award at INCA XXXIV International Conference, Dec, 2014.
- Awarded Endeavour Research Fellowship : Worked on extraction of urban green space (Aug-Dec 2016) and transferability of rule set in GEOBIA environment at UTAS, Tasmania, Australia
- HUDCO sponsored Project on “Application of Geoinformatics in housing the Urban poor (Study on slums of Gulbarga city). (18.56 lakhs)
- UGC Major Research Project on “Assessing the environmental impact of Urbanisation on Gulbarga city by using Geoinformatics”. (12. 5 lakhs)
- UGC-UKIERI Research Project on An interactive spatial Decision Support System for monitoring Public Health using Geoinformatics (Rs12.73 Lakhs) with University of Cambridge, UK.
- DST Sponsored Project on Mitigating and Managing Urban Heat Islands through Social Forestry -Using Hyper & Multi-Spectral Remote Sensing (32 lakhs)
Professor, Central University of Tamil Nadu Thiruvarur
August 2017 - Till Date
Associate Professor/ Professor, Central University of Karnataka Kalaburagi
July 2011 - August 2017
Reader, National Defence Academy Pune
August 2009 - July 2011
Lecturer, University of Pune Pune
September 2008 - August 2009
Lecturer, National Defence Academy Pune
September 2000 - August 2008